Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Dream Continues . . .

Yeah, I know, it has been too long since my last post. As I said before, I don't post unless I have something contructive to say. I don't write just to see my own words up on the screen.

I have just watched episode 17 of If I Can Dream - Go Nude or Go Home. I really feel that my respect for Kara and Alex has increased. It is the organization that Gig, Ben, and Justin should question. I felt they jumped in without knowing who they were getting involved with. Sometimes

PETA is widely known, amoung the humane organizations, as an extreamist, far left animal rights group. So, you're asking where do I get off talknig about them like this? I have been running a no-kill, animal rescue and adoptin shelter for the last seven years. Plus, I also speak of my personal dealings with PETA.

Two years ago, PETA came to Halifax County North Carolina, to rescue unwanted cats. That is how they represented themselves to our community. Both young and old people gladly gave up their unwanted cats to this PETA couple. These two representatives were operating out of PETA's Norfolk Virginia world headquarters. They told all who they received animals from that the cats would be taken back to Norfolk and be adopted out. We, as naive as we are, believed them. However, what they did was 180 degrees opposite.

These two PETA representatives (remember what PETA stands for - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)took over 45 cats, illegally put the animals down, placed them in trash bags and tossed them into a supermarket dumpster. First of all, neither rep was a licensed vet. In North Carolina, you have to be a licensed vet to put an animal down. Second, what they did constitues animal abuse - which is a felony in all 50 states. We all felt betrayed when we learned this. People lost their trust in us - because we recommended our friends to give up their animals to them. I, for one, and our organization, Down East Animal Refuge, does not like to be made fools of.

We approached the national PETA leadership regarding this issue. They NEVER denied that this was their intention. However, they deceived people into giving up, sometimes their loving pets, to PETA, thinking they were going to get loving homes. So, you'll understand why I question PETA's motives.

I understand that PETA is looking the animal rights issue from a much bigger picture. However, it is the princple of this issue. Animals are animals. You can't have it both ways, PETA. You either protect ALL animals, or, you don't protect them at all. You can't pick and choose the animals you want to protect. Killing animals for their skin is wrong. So is putting loving pets down and deceiving people. PETA does all these high impact, controversial ads. They spend millions on getting their word out. It is too bad that PETA can't funnel that money into our communities to support local shelters.

Okay, okay. I'll get off my soap box. Tell me what you think? Do you think that Justin, Ben, and Giglianne had the right intentions? Do you feel that they picked the right organization to go with? Let's hear it. Again, kudos to Kara and Alex for standing their ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment